Thursday, November 23, 2006

Stop the Flagging


Seems that whereever I go a Canadian with a flag has beaten me to it. What is up with that? It's actually embarrassing because people in the most random places will ask me for a flag (pin or postcard or patch) once they find out I'm Canadian and when I tell them I don't have one they look at me as though I am a freak. A monk at a monastery in Burma asked me casually where I was from. When I told him he said "you have a nice flag" he then pointed at the wall behind him and there it was, a handful of Canadian flags glued to a Buddhist calendar and all around us there were cats jumping about haphazardly.

Then last week I got on a boat to get to Raileh beach and the strange Estonian group I met pointed at the mast to let me know that I wasn't the first Canadian to visit this beach. I took a picture and now I would like to plead with Canadians everywhere to stop taking the freaking flag on their backpacking adventures. It's embarrassing. Germans don't do it. The Americans don't dare. Why us?


Ton Sai beach near Raileh. I spent all of last week here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! it's embarrassing and somewhat pointless...I have seen canadian flag stickers stuck on all kinds of things.
in Scotland I busted an american who was posing as a canadian with a flag on her backpack. it was an innocent bust, i just asked where she was from. .....ΓΌ"hhhh, texas""

Thu Nov 23, 12:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that in some places if you have a Canadian Flag somewhere on you (in my case shoulder flashes on my flight jacket) you get treated better cause they don't think you're an 'American', that's why some yanks wear them also....

Keep well Gina - hope to see you soon....

Thu Nov 23, 03:24:00 PM  
Blogger Scott Bradley said...

you guys are such travel snobs. wear the flag. it's like being rich, you get better service.

Thu Nov 23, 03:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home