Saturday, October 28, 2006

Scorpion doesn't taste like chicken


This would be a Thai snack. At first I thought it was a tourist thing but then I saw some people buying these deep fried scorpions and grasshoppers. "Some people" were exclusively local. I had no plans of devouring one myself but things change quickly. Really, I thought this entry would be about how I got rip roaring drunk on Kho San Road and then made out with a ladyboy but no.


I ran into a Canadian girl I had met at Mingun in Burma. She was sitting at a stall making necklaces and her Thai boyfriend was just hanging out. I joined them and pretty soon was playing with an eight year old boy who was hanging out on the street waiting for his mom to stop working. The mother sells her services to the farangs (foreigners) on Kho San Road. I think business is good these days because he was there until at least 11pm.


Once the kid disappeared the snack cart came around. I looked at girlfriend (I don't remember her name but I've got it written down...I think it's Amy) and her boyfriend got us two scorpions and some grasshopper snacks for himself. Before I knew it my tastebuds were tingling with the flavours of scorpion.


It was deep fried and douced in soya sauce. Crunchy and the center is soft and mushy like undercooked ground beef. Holding one of these babies in your hands is a great way to get guys to talk to you. I think I made at least ten new friends. Only two guys took me up on the offer to join in and eat my scorpion with me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... scorpion martinis for your birthday this year?

Sun Oct 29, 07:32:00 PM  
Blogger LOTC said...

They're salty enough...but not enough fat to float around the martini glass, let's stick to salami martinis. ;)

Mon Oct 30, 12:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so jealous! always wanted to eat bugs. but did you make out with a ladyboy or not?

Sun Nov 05, 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger LOTC said...

I'm going to deep fry some cockroaches for you D.

Sat Nov 11, 06:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home