Friday, October 27, 2006

Herro Thailand


Here I am, sweaty and tortured by mosquitos in Thailand. The first thing I did was get out of Bangkok as soon as I arrived. I headed to Ayuthaya, the former Thai capital, named after Rama's home in the Indian epic Ramayana. It is essentially an island town surrounded on all sides by three converging rivers. The ruins are listed as Unesco sights but after the stuff in Myanmar they pale in comparison.

So, I rode my bike around for a while and tried to avoid the rather large insects crawling about until it was time to eat. Food is never hard to find which works out great since I am pms-ing large these days. Suprisingly enough the streets here are very bike friendly. Cars actually slow down and stop when you try to cross, not at all like Myanmar.


This little town of underwhelming ruins was helping me recover from my last day in Yangon. You are going to have to believe me when I say that watching the sun set on 53 metric tonnes of gold leaf topped by 5000 diamonds and 2000 other precious stones is exhausting. Shwedagon Paya in Yangon is supposedly 2500 years old and supposedly Buddha relics have been enshrined here. There are no digital pictures to post because my camera was out of batteries. However, a very nice monk took a picture of me in front of the treasure with my film camera and then I took one of him and now we are email pals. Funny how that works.

Later in the evening I met a very undernourished but very nice German guy who has overstayed his Burmese visa by 2 months now. He seemed a little worried about it but was planning on staying for another few months to practice meditation.


Today I arrived in Bangkok at the unimaginable hour of 6am. I had to get up at 3:30 to make the train. Hilda, I'm coming back to London to catch up on some sleep soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home