Sunday, April 02, 2006

FOPs

So, here we have it. My mom on a night train. Trying to sleep. Hasina parked herself in the top bunk and was not to be seen for the entire 10 hour ride. Luckily I was seated next to an Afghan man! Fresh off the boat...er, I mean plane so that makes him a FOP. He was nice and complimented me on my honey tongued Pashtu. For sure I'm gonna get me a man back at home with that honey tongued Pasthu. Wouldn't it be great if I came back married and preggers?! Y'all could take turns babysitting while I "go to the library" or "night classes". The child could be raised by a village. Like in that saying, you know the one about the village banding together and raising the child and the child entertaining your cynile old ass and maybe even committing you to an old folks home where you'll meet other old people that don't want to be there.

I've been meeting a different breed of traveler now that my mom's around. They all seem to be from Afghanistan or Iran or Hare Krishnas who are escaping heartaches from London. My mom has also been exposed to a different sort of travel. I took her to a chill Israeli restaurant with floor seating and awesome trans music. She was the only mom in the sea of 20 something backpackers. Later that day we sat near the lake in Pushkar and watched as a huge mofo of a car backed over a little puppy. The dog yelped in pain and was crying for what seemed like hours. I got up and another traveler stopped and we held him until we could figure out what to do with the poor baby. He was a stray. It was aweful. Everytime he moved he cried. We thought its hind leg was hurt but then saw that it was his front leg. The local crazy man (you'll be happy to read that he was Canadian) yelled at me for caring. "Let him lead his life. He's a dog. He will think he is a human. Children need beds, not dogs." Clearly this Canadian was crazy. Clearly. Apparently sometimes he dances by the lake "just like a lady" the waiter told me with a big grin. Poor honky has no idea how to dance like a man, so he dances like a lady. I saw no suge spectacle. He did soften his stance and even walked me back to the market to chat while my mother kept eyeing him with that 'why is this hobo talking to my daughter' look on her face.

Today we're off to Udaipur. Saw the amazing the two and a half day mosque (built in 1192) earlier today. Quite an amazing site. We spent the day in Ajmer, site of one of the most important Sufi shrines in the world. Hazrat Mu'inuddin Chishti, the founder of the Chishti Sufi order's tomb. It was all very halal with my head covered and all. We prayed. We gave alms. We sat. We drank chai. We talked about old times and the nazar (otherwise known as 'evil eye'). Very halal as I said. My mom wasn't annoyed or anything. Then my mom yelled at me because I made her ride a horse drawn cart back to the train station instead of a taxi. It was awesome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Bradley said...

If you came back married and preggers the only thing I could do would be to say "I told you so..."

Tue Apr 04, 09:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home