Saturday, December 16, 2006

Karaoke by Hand in Hanoi


Hanoi is overwhelming after the quietness of Laos. I love it. There are motorbikes everywhere and it's loud. Reminds me of India without the heat and the "hello madame" being shouted after me.



Getting here involved a bus from Phonsavan across the border where we were asked about SARS by Vietnamese border officials. Seems they are still concerned about the virus being transmitted over the borders. Switched buses and arrived in Hanoi at 3am.


Today I had the pleasure of being taken around town by a former expat. He's Aussie and used to live here working in the forestry sector. This is his first time back and as you may have guessed, I don't remember/know his name. We go drinking in a little bit at a local tourist free bar before I get on the train to Sapa in the north. He walked me past a shop selling tombstones and among them was one with Britney Spears' picture on it. How can you not love a place that puts Britney on a tombstone?


Halong Bay was supposed to be hit by a typhoon today but apparently it changed course and now it's save to go there. I am going to be heading to the bay in the next couple of days before returning to Hanoi to look around some more.


FYI: Karaoke by hand is another way of saying rub & tug in this part of the world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, wish i had been able to meet you in vietnam!
xo, l.

Sun Dec 17, 10:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home