Monday, March 06, 2006

Eh Rickshaw-wallah!

A few hours in hot, humid Kolkata and I'm loving this city already. Saw a shepherd with a dozen goats walking down Sudder Street. Wow.

Kokata is the only city so far where I have encountered rickshaw-wallahs, people who actually pull their rickshaws on foot. Some of them are old enough to be my grandfathers.

I ate my way through this sweetshop near Park Street. Most of the sweets were 5 rupees each and the workers at the shop huddled behind the counter watching with amusement as I finished one sweet and immediately ordered another. There's still more to try and I will return tomorrow for another dose of sugar.

Street food is what it's all about around here. The vendors are everywhere and the food smells delicious! Drinks are served in terracotta cups that get smashed against the sidewalk for luck after you're done with them. Today I had a rose lassi and tomorrow I am going for the green mango lassi.

This is Sudder Street, the main backpacker neighbourhood and the location of my hostel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home