Monday, February 27, 2006

Khajuraho: sex in the sandstones




According to my guide book, TS Burt, the dude who was credited with 'rediscovering' the kamasutra temples at Khajuraho after being led to them by his palaquin guide (what about a little credit for the palaquin dude?) was quoted as saying that the images of all that hot action on the walls was "a little warmer than was any absolute necessity for." If that is all you expect to learn from this post then you better hold on to your seats. The reason the temples were forsaken by their inhabitants was because the region was under threat by Afghan invaders. So, in 1838 TS was led into the jungle by a palaquin like a child is led across the street to 'rediscover' them. I'm a bit edgy today. I was sexually harrassed by a city employee on my bus ride to this remote little town after having slept at the train station last night. My train got in six hours before the first bus was scheduled to leave the station. Harrassment will happen when you travel solo. It happens anywhere but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

Moving on: the temples are amazingly detailed and well preserved. This place is definitely worth the non-boob friendly five hour bus ride.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Bradley said...

I guess it was sexual harassment because he was ugly?

On that note....my mother always said if you can't laugh you'll always cry. Wise words.

Mon Feb 27, 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger LOTC said...

I wouldn't have minded 70s style sexual harrassment even if he was ugo.

Thu Mar 02, 08:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home