Monday, April 23, 2007

It's like riding a bike... only more painful

I really did myself in this time. It all goes back to Saturday afternoon when I went to pick up a Salvadoran, Colombian and Mexican sausage for the dinner barbecue I had invited myself to that evening. I was walking out the doors of Segovia in the market when the owner called out after me "Behave yourself." I replied with "I will" and he then smiled and responded with "but not too much". At this point in the day, and weekend, I was convinced that I was a) going to have a nice dinner, b)was going to enjoy a good clear Sunday and c)needed to carry my sunglasses on me from this day forward to keep me from squinting into the blue sky.

The meat was awesome. I didn't drink for, oh, the first two hours of the evening. It all took a turn at the dinner table with a bottle of wine...well, maybe it was shotgunning the beer with Ryan before dessert when it all went to shits...or the shot of Aquavit after dessert...or the other bottle of wine before I decided to take up smoking.... Regardless, by the time we got to the Newfie Corner I was in the bag. There were two tables at the bar: ours and a set of older people. Coming out of the washroom I walked over to the older people and then had to SEARCH for my table. Oh yeah. KLASSEEE. Needless to say, I cabbed it home and awoke bright and early the next day wishing I hadn't made plans to go rock climbing.

Granted I've nursed hangovers before but for some reason, this one was particularly bad. I remembered faintly from my backpacking days someone telling me to take Vitamin B to get rid of hangovers. I remember trusting this person because he was clearly a drunk and would have to have figured this out after years of experimentation with various "vitamins". Sadly, due to the sledgehammer effect in my brain I couldn't remember what I was looking for when I got out of bed and started to rummage through my bag. On the upside, I did find my house keys which I thought I had left in the door on the way in the night before.

Just as I was about to pop an Advil a glimpse of a conversation with another friend about the dangers of taking Advil to cure hangovers flickered by. Apparently it's hard on your liver. I turned to cashew nuts while contemplating other cures. The nuts were not doing it.

Eggs. Someone said eggs because they are greasy. The smell of eggs makes me want to vomit when I am hung over, so that one was vetoed almost immediately. Then I spoke to my sister. Toast, she said, would help soak up the alcohol. There was no toast in the house. Plus, I figured by now my blood had 'soaked' up the alcohol and carried it to my brain which was being pounded like a piece of schnitzel.


Bananas are high in potassium (which helps regulate water in the body) and the natural mood enhancer Tryptophan. Bananas also build up depleted blood sugar levels AND I had a banana! I ate the banana. Then I felt sicker because it was too sweet. More salty nuts fixed that problem.

Here's a hangover cure that I had not yet tried: apples. They're high in fibre and all those good vitamins that help you deal with alcohol digestion...? By the time I had the apple it was time to go climbing.

Let's just say that I forgot to straighten myself out a few times when I was lowered off the wall and hence, was lowered to the ground onto my back. Also, I felt I had something to proof. No clue what. Much to my delight I managed not to puke on anyone from above. However, I did manage to give my partner a good solid case of rope-burn. Then it hit me like a truck whilst walking up the street: an incredibly huge poster of Il Divo...

...immediately followed by a Burger King restaurant. This is a tried-tested-and-true hangover cure: whoppers. Two Jr Whoppers, large onion rings and large fries did the job.

Today it is Monday and the head's still pounding a little...at certain intervals it pounds a lot. I think it's trying to tell me something in Morse Code. I'm never drinking again. I may have Burger King for dinner tonight again to clear up this hangover once and for all!


Nursing a hangover. Ahh. Who woulda thunk that I would blog about it one day?

....Oh man, it just started to pour and I didn't bring an umbrella...or a jacket for that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home