Monday, August 21, 2006

Pablo & Pedro & Beijing

Motor-mouth didn't make it out for drinks last night. I think she was still on UB time. However, Pablo & Pedro (really Alfonso and Pedro) did make it out. Alfonso would be Mr. Californication from the night before. The three of us took a saunter through the hutongs (alleyways) of Beijing and found a cozy little outdoor restaurant among the locals. Dinner cost something like five dollars for the three of us (including four large beers). Ordering off the all Chinese menu was a challenge that could only be overcome by taking a little look into the kitchen and pointing out the vegetables we wanted cooked up with our meat.

The experience was so nice that I missed the last subway back to Jishuitan. This led to my first taxi experience immediately followed by my first being locked out of the house experience. The only thing between me and that couch was one giant padlock on the courtyard's gate. Phones here are about as common as a good hair day is for Donald Trump. I walked through the alleys and found a group of two young couples waiting for their barbecued meat to cook. It only took thirty minutes of communicating with various hand gestures before one of them disappeared to get a cell phone. I was offered meat on a stick while I waited. Greg (my host) was very gracious about letting me into the house.

Turns out Greg's 'girlfriend' has rabies...okay, so she does not really have rabies but she's somewhere in the midst of getting the four hundred shots you have to get after a dog bites you. He also explained that she is in fact not his girlfriend but 'likes to sleep in his bed'. Then I saw pictures of a girl he wants to be his girlfriend and I must say that after seeing those shots I want her to be my girlfriend too. She's hot! Luckily I did not have to invent a "boyfriend".


Aside from the various male middriffs on display here, the Summer Palace made it onto the must-see list. It is THE sight to see in Bejing. Better than the Forbidden City by far. Once again I must mention how amazing the people in this city are. Very friendly. Some dude just walked up to me to help me find the subway back. According to him everyone is on their best behaviour in preparation for the 2008 Olympics. I can't believe they're faking it!

Now I go to meet Alfonso and Pedro to take them back to Greg's place for drinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home