Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Quick Version


After the many wonderous events that occured in Afghanistan I high tailed it out of there and flew back to Delhi. Once firmly on the ground in the Indian capital I went to a market and keeled over. Blacked right out during a lunch hour rush. Luckily, a very nice Indian lady helped me get back on my feet fifteen or so minutes later. Passing out was not a new thing for me. I had plenty of practice in Kabul where I took to spontaneously making friends with the various pavement options four days in a row.

I got homesick. I know, isn't it weird? Who would have thought that after five months of travelling and sleeping in a different bed virtually every night one could get homesick? I was as shocked as anyone when this happened. So, logically I headed to Turkey to sleep for three days straight. I decided to get up when a guy in my hostel room pointed at me and said: 'you sleep more than me!' He, Sheik, slept more than any human being I have ever met. I suppose he was tired as well. We decided on a dodgy Bosphorous cruise. It was beautiful. He was cute. He was weird. He proclaimed that all teenage girls were horny when they giggled their way past us. He is a teacher. I subsequently found the energy to drag my sleepy butt to the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sophia. The latter is an architectural marvel that left me completely underwhelmed. There is lots of scaffolding inside and they didn't really do a good job of preserving the building. Istanbul was and is a beautiful city. I highly recommend it as a travel spot when in Europe. Next stop...

my people, aka the Germans. I arrived with mixed emotions. I had not really prepared myself for this encounter with the Heimat. However, any apprehension I had instantly disappeared when I saw my sister. It has been lovely being here (in Berlin) with the drunk German public during the World Cup. Shopping is good in this cool city and lucky me, I can not participate at all. The money was intended for traveling and not buying new clothes. I look like a lost person in this sea of beautiful, well dressed people.


Next stop: Prague and a music festival outside of town. I know none of the bands but have been promised Czech reggae.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home