Monday, June 05, 2006

The New Ragin' Cajun

Because he's my little brother and I'm oh so proud of him I had to post this:

Deep down in Cajun country Ron Hudson came across a video, in amongst a mountain of submissions from across the continent, of a wide receiver from New Westminster.

The receiving scholarship spots, however, at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette were already full. But Hudson was an offensive line coach and he'd been at Bowling Green and Kent State universities where they'd had success with Canadian kids on the O-line. So he popped in the tape, sent to the school by Hyacks' head coach Farhan Lalji, and had a look. While he was impressed with Marc Moore, what caught his eye was a big guy on the line.

"I was kind of curious, so I called [Lalji] up," recalled Hudson in his thick Louisiana drawl from Lafayette. "I said, 'Have you got any more tape on [Nasser Jamal]. We were intrigued with him.

"He's a very tall, athletic kid. He moves well and we thought he was going to be a good, young prospect."

That's how the 6-foot-5, 265-pound Jamal became a Ragin' Cajun. He was all set to go to UBC, which was offering him a $2,500 scholarship. He changed his mind after visiting Lafayette and receiving a $120,000 scholarship offer.

"It was actually overwhelming," said Jamal. "There was [University of Texas-El Paso], Texas, Oklahoma, Tulsa, there were a whole bunch of schools that were interested.

"[ULL] just seemed more comfortable for me. The university was nice, the people were great and they ran an offence similar to ours so I could make an immediate impact on the team."

Although Jamal prefers to play defensive end he admits he's a better offensive lineman. It's likely he'll redshirt the first year and work toward taking over the coveted left tackle on the offensive line once the starter graduates next year.

"That's a smart thing for him to do," said Hudson. "I don't have a lot of long, athletic bodies here and my tackle is going to be gone and I think Nasser has a chance to compete for that spot."

Jamal said his parents wanted him to go to either SFU or UBC because all of his older siblings, three sisters and a brother, went to those schools on academic scholarships. Now he dares to dream NFL.

"That is my goal, but I'd be just as happy just to play NCAA," said Jamal. "Eventually I do want to go the CFL/NFL route, but that's a long way
away."

--------------

My pride has no boundaries so here are a few other links:

NFL & CFL Futures.com
Highschool Football News
The Record

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

chicken skin and david hasselfhof!

that knocked me socks off!

Thu Jun 08, 06:41:00 AM  
Blogger Christopherr said...

that is awesome news about your bro gina...

i hope you are doing ok over yonder. keep in touch!

ive added you into my links. i even starred you so i can help generate a lot of traffic for you! ;)

Tue Jun 13, 01:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home