Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Submarines in Mumbai

According to Indian government rest regulations pilot Russell, the man flying the plane I boarded in Delhi heading to Mumbai, was not allowed to be at the airport before 12:30. The plane was scheduled to fly at 12:50 but for obvious reasons was delayed.

I arrived at the Salvation Army Hostel in Colaba yesterday afternoon and since have met about a dozen or so interesting people. I wish there were more hostels in India. The bathrooms have no water in the mornings... I don't quite know why, and the ceiling fans are noisy but I like it here.

Went to Elephanta Island to check out the Brahmin caves. Met two girls from Holland and an elderly lady from South Africa. The lady and I spent the day together and even went for dinner off the main causeway with two Canadian girls. Turns out she's a priest. The caves on the island were nice. Nothing that blew my lid but worth seeing for sure. The best part was on the choppy boat ride back when a submarine came up near the harbour and our boat floated past it. Some jackass kept leaning overboard to cup water in his palm to throw on his wife. I guess that was his idea of a romantic harbour cruise.

"Yes ma'am" is all you hear walking past the million or so stalls on the side of the road. I think pretty soon I'll be replying with "No sir." What does that even mean? Yes ma'am. It's some weird Indian sales technique. I haven't seen it work so maybe eventually it'll switch to "Would you like this?". I won't hold my breath though. Yes ma'am is pretty ingrained in their everyday conversational English.

Mumbai is a city with a more British influence in its architecture from Delhi. Double decker buses are everywhere in this Bollywood metropolis. Jessica and I went for a walk on some of the back streets away from the hustle of the main boulevards. What a difference. Life moves at a slower pace back there and we were the only foreigners in the area.

Unfortunately I can't post any pictures until I get back to Delhi because none of the internet cafes let me plug in my camera. But take my word for it, it's quite different from the rest of India in Mumbai.

Am heading to Goa tomorrow where I'll meet up with a British girl, Jessica, I just met. I have the sneaking suspicion she's about 18 years old. Her dad is coming to meet her in a few days which is when I'll split to Hampi if all goes according to plan. She showed me a picture of him. He's kinda cute... and young (as young as a man with a teenage daughter can be).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.. does he have a hairy chest and look as if he could be a former lifeguard/popsinger by chance?

Wed Feb 08, 03:39:00 PM  
Blogger Communist Haberdasher said...

Would you say that he looks like a pipe cleaner?

Thu Feb 09, 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger LOTC said...

Unfortunately it's no to the hairy chested lifeguard/singer and the pipe cleaaning would seem inappropriate I fear. I have met a pipe cleaning contestant though... but you all know I like my privacy on any smuggling in the Khyber Pass. It's a covert operation.

Fri Feb 10, 01:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home